If you’re new to trying to sell things online for a profit, you may be wonder what is content marketing, anyway? How does it differ from other marketing methods?
In affiliate marketing, there are several ways you can capture market share for products you are promoting. One is to buy targeted banner ads on websites.
- You can buy banner ads on websites where your potential customers visit
- You can buy text ads like Google Adwords, and set them to show up on pages your potential audience may reach
- You can pay-per-click in shopping engines
As you may have noticed, all of these have a hard cost associated with them, and it can be easy to spend thousands of dollars without any idea if your marketing strategy will work or not.
So what’s a new-to-the-internet person to do? Enter the elbow grease method of making money online – content marketing!
What is Content Marketing?
When you engage in content marketing, you use several methods to ‘spread the word’ – your word, that is! Popular methods include:
- Writing articles and submitting them to article directories
- Writing blog posts and creating an authoritative website with dozens of posts using strategic keywords
- Publishing reviews of products, both written and in video form
- Creating lenses or hub pages
What’s the advantage to using this method over other methods?
First, it gives you time to really assess a market without ‘betting the ranch’. You can see if a sales page converts, if you have the right target audience, if your understanding of the product is thorough, and if you understand what drives customers to buy products that you are marketing.
Second, you are in complete control. With paid banners and text ads, the cost can spiral while you’re busy looking after other things, and you can find yourself in trouble quickly. And when the money’s gone, it’s gone. But with content marketing, you can invest as little or as much time as you have. And almost without exception, the more you invest and the more you learn, the more return you see for your money.
Third, you can easily create content that changes as the keywords around an opportunity change. Using a complementary SEO strategy to shape your content is far more effective than just writing blindly.
What is content marketing, really? A strategy that allows you to learn, grow, and scale your online marketing career at your pace.